Thursday, February 24, 2011

Walk a Paragraph

Beep...beep...beep, the alarm blares endlessly in my ear as I struggle to get up out of bed. Six thirty..."guess i should get out of bed". Every bone in my body aches from the uncomfortable mattress I've slept on for the past eight years, and with much effort I'm finally able to clamber out, half asleep with the pain of hunger gnawing at my stomach. I need some breakfast. As I am pouring myself a bowl of bran cereal like I usually have each morning I get my daily pills all lined up and ready to eat with the usual tall glass of water. As I am satisfying the pangs in my belly my body starts to feel much better, and my mood soon follows suit, at the very least I don't feel as terrible as a seventy year old man should, supposedly, feel at this early in the morning, I think with a chuckle. "Doesn't seem like it'll snow again today" I say to myself with a slight grin on my lips. After a couple of hours of watching the news and reading the paper along with my cereal, I decide I should go to the mall again today for my usually cup of coffee from the Orange Julius at the food court. As I'm getting ready to leave I think to myself that, although their coffee is exceedingly scrumptious the food is as expensive, so I decide to grab a muffin and banana to eat as a snack when I arrive there. As I'm sitting down with my recently purchased cup of coffee, I pick up the newspaper from the table and leisurely begin to read today's happenings. After about a half hour of peace and quiet in this soon to be busy mall I notice a large group of teenagers noisily bursting through the doors into the mall, shouldn't they be in school right now, I grumpily think to myself, my mood steadily dropping by the second. After almost an hour of their noise, I've had about as much as I could take for the morning, I notice that they finally seem to be leaving. "Thank goodness" I murmur under my breath. Even though they had left, I still decide that I should be heading home, as the stores were opening up and it would soon become filled with people and noise yet again. The rest of my day was spent as usual, go to the bingo hall and play with a few of my old friends, then we'd go to the McDonald's and have an early dinner. After we'd sat in the restaurant for a few hours, completely unaware of the amount of time we'd spent talking, we would all head to my place to play a good clean game of poker, my speciality. Soon it would be late and everyone would excuse themselves from our game and head home themselves. As the night wore on I would watch the television until I fell asleep on the couch, same as always, then barely awake I'd lumber back into my old, eight year old pain of a mattress, and sleep another peaceful, dream filled night.

No comments:

Post a Comment